Friday, August 13, 2004

Purse-onal Preference

When my friend P & her husband G i.e. (P&G) visited in July, I gave her a hard time about her purse. I’ve known P for almost 20 years. Refer to exhibit A.
Me: “P, how long have you had that purse?”
P: “ It doesn’t matter. It’s still in good condition?” “ I don’t know why everyone is on my case about my purse, my sister, my mom and now you. There’s nothing wrong with it.”
Me: “ It looks hideous. It’s ready for retirement. What if I get you a new purse for your Bday?”
P: “No. I can’t find this style anymore”
G: “Don’t you think I’ve tried that before? Believe me, it won’t work”
P: “I’m not materialistic, it’s functional & I’m going with the acid wash look and check out the inside..it is still in great condition” Refer to exhibit B.
Me: “We are not in the 80’s anymore. Acid wash look is out.”
She was kind enough to let me take picture of her purse so that I can find a replacement for it. After thinking about it more and shopping around, I’ve decided not to get her a purse for her birthday and let her be P. If carrying exhibit A around town make her happy, let it be. It is selfish of me to force my view of what is aesthetically pleasing to me upon her. What do you think after seeing the evidence? Would you retire this poor purse?


Exhibit A

Exhibit B

2 comments:

Bullseye said...

She has a point. The inside looks fine. If she really likes it then she should keep it. See if a tailor can replace/repair the top portion of the purse. Maybe it just needs some oil and it can look a bit better.

Sam said...

Her husband, G already try to polish the outside using black leather oil and it did not last.