Monday, August 02, 2004

Lychee down memory lane

I went to 99 Ranch Supermarket (99) over the weekend and noticed that Lychee is now down to $1.99/lb from $5.99/lb two months ago. Inventory must be building up which put price pressure on the stock. Supermarket, stock market, what's the difference? It's amazing how a fruit can bring me back so many fun filled childhood memories. The aroma, the texture and the taste of Lychee bring me back to those summer vacations back in Taiwan when I was 10 or 11 years old. Our family stayed with the Sun family. Adults were busy playing MJ so the children, we entertained ourselves by playing cards and pretend to be the G-Force, an anime TV show that I watched religiously as a kid besides Three's companies. I recalled eating bouquets of Lychees in Taiwan resulting in serious bloody nose and play G-Force with Bulleye, Oliver, & Ellen. When Bulleye didn't get his ways, he used to charge us with his head pretending he was a rhinoceros. Now days, I get to enjoy Lychee from Taiwan and not even have to fly for 13 hours. We are all adults now and live our separate life in different part of the world.
I also bought Taiwan yellow watermelon and S was having a great time eating it. She was fascinated that the watermelon wasn't red.
Another fond memory I have was the breakfast trip. Every summer morning; Oliver and I (we were the eldest) would walk to the local bakery to get freshly baked polo-bao (Pineapple coated bread) and fan-tuan (Rice roll made with sweet rice filled with Chinese donut and pork sung filling) for everyone. Needless to say, I bought some of those too from 99 and shared them with the family. S likes the bread but mostly the sweet coating on top. Hubby thinks the rice roll is tasty and he said, "It's just like sushi with out the raw fish"
Sigh.. the good old days...and why is it all food related?

No comments: