Monday, October 18, 2004

Weekend activities

On Saturday, we went up to my parent's and hung out with Bulleye. We went to Hacienda Heights for some San-Tung region Chinese food which is heavy on carbohydrates i.e. noodles & dumplings. My favorite dish was the green onion crepe and jellyfish. In the afternoon, we played 2 games of poker. I lost both games but Hubby won one. It was hubby's 1st time playing Texas Hold'em so good job hub!
We rented Supersize me on Sunday and the director conducted an eye opening experiment. He gained 25 lbs and ruined his liver by eating only fast-food for 30 days. In the movie, one lawyer made a comparison between fast-food chains and tobacco companies where they put in tons of money to lure kids to buy their products. I have to admit that there had been instances where I gave in and ate fast-food to appease my daughter. At the end, she was more interested in the toys than the food and we all ended up eating unhealthy meal. Back in June, I had In & Out double double animal style with fries and drinks. After that meal, I felt sick and have not gone back since. Another harsh reality I learned is how chicken Mc nuggets are made. Chicken nuggets are basically like hotdogs in little round shapes. It has lots of chicken parts that we normally wouldn't eat.
I would recommend the movie. Some parts are slow but it's educational.
I will make a conscious effort to eat fast-food no more than once every 6 months.

3 comments:

antawnkreitzer said...

Yes, I saw the 20-20 on that documentary special but haven't seen the movie yet...crazy stuff. It's funny cuz we all pretty much already know the message the documentary is telling us. We all know fast food is unhealthy. The fact is that fast food is fast and it's food, so we get it cuz it's convenient and cheap. I rarely eat fast food now too, but it's still nice to get every once in awhile.

Sam said...

A,
You are right, we know fast-food is bad but if you read the label on each item, then you know how much fat and calories a large fries has.
They make it real easy, fast and tasty so we go back again and again. Ultimately, eating healthy may not be as fast or easy but it's better than fast-food.

Bullseye said...

Remember that we're battling billion dollar companies that's trying to take our money. They program us when we are young, condition us so that we like the taste of the food, and make use dependent from all different aspects. There are lots of things that we have to battle.

1) It's cheap ... but it's only really cheap in our minds. If you start to supersize things and get a few extra items the bill balloons to around $8. You can get a nice Thai dish for that price. They also condition us to eat more and more so we think we're getting more for our money.
2) It's convenient. Drive through, food in a few minutes, and it's all over the place. We know what we're going to get. The same crappy quality all over the place.
3) It's yummy. It's only yummy because we're used to it. I remember when I first ate Doritos. It just exploded in my mouth with all different flavors. I couldn't believe that something in this world could taste like this. The same thing with Onion Rings ... Wow! my taste buds were getting a workout. Now, I'm immunite to Doritos. I can eat lots of them and not feel a thing.
4) It looks clean. It's packaged well. The colors are pretty, nice and there are lots of logo's to please our eyes. We eat it and look at the bag or drink coke and look at the can. "What a solid drink! I'm proud to have it in my hands." Imagine if we had to drink it out of a plastic bag in Indonesia. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I have to detox myself from all these things. I have to start getting used to real food and remove the urges. They're spending billions of dollars to get us to spend a few bucks at a time.