Friday, October 29, 2004

Static Electricity

When I got gasoline for my car, I tend to put the nozzle in the tank, get back into my car, wait until it clicks and come out of the car to put the nozzle back to the pump station. This morning, as I got back into my car, a fellow gasoline buyer talked to me about my behavior.
Nice guy: Pointing to some warning sign on the pump "Excuse me, have you seen this warning on cellphone and static electricity?"
I’m thinking that this guy is trying to sell me something.
Me: "Yeah, and your point is?"
Nice guy: "Especially during winter, when you go in and out of your car, you build up static charges that could generate a spark and cause a fire when you touch the nozzle."
Me: "Really. So what I have to do is ground myself before touching the nozzle!"
Nice guy:"Yes or just stay out of your car until your finish filling up the tank. I've seen the video on what could happened and I don't want it to happen to you"
Me: "Thank you for bringing this to my attention" He wasn't a creepy guy after all. When I did a search on the topic and this is what I found this article on
static electricity Check it out for your self.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I had no idea!

Berklee

Sam said...

You're welcome Berklee. :)
Thanks for visiting.