Thursday, September 16, 2004

Venting

Ever since, school started, traffic has been heavier than summer time which added more stress to those of us who drive to work everyday, me. Since September, I leave home earlier to get to work on time and I get home later since there's more traffic and accidents for some reasons.
Driving home last night was one of the worst experience I had this year. When hubby heard about the big accident on the freeway which I take from work to home, he called and suggested that I avoid the scene of accident and take a different path. I took his advice, checked out the map and figured out my route. Mentally, I was determined to get through this with positive attitude. When I got off the freeway I assume everyone else also had the same idea because the alternative path to home took 2 hours. Normally it takes me 1 hour or less. By the time I got home, I jumped on the computer, checked sigalert.com and the traffic had gone back to normal. I just can't win. I picked the path and had to live with the consequences.

While listening to the radio during my drive to work, the DJs were talking about tipping. I didn't know that I'm suppose to tip even when I get takeouts. Is that customary? I thought tipping is for the service I receive when I sit down and get serve by the waiter/waitress not when I take the food home and serve my self and my family. This whole tipping thing is difficult for me to understand since we don't get out much. Where do you draw the line?

2 comments:

CookieBandit said...

Hmmm, I thought tips for takeout was not necessary. If you order a lunch special from a Chinese restaurant, you usually get rice, soup, and the entree (for example, kung pao chicken). Well, for takeout, you typically don't get the soup- I figure this is because 1) they don't want to have to buy containers for the soup (and if it spilled, you might sue them) and 2) you are not eating there so you don't leave a tip. And because you don't leave a tip, they don't give you the soup.

I know, a bit of fuzzy logic... the tip is for the server(s) and the work they do, since many of them get lower wages because the bosses figure that they will get tips. But when you get takeout, the server(s) generally don't do anything except maybe carry the bag of food from the kitchen to the front counter. Right?

Although if everyone got takeout and no one dined in, then the server(s) would be getting underpaid, because they'd be getting their lower wages without the extra tips, but that would be something the management would have to deal with...

Maybe it's different with American restaurants, like Marie Callendar's where you have one hostess that serves your table, as opposed to Chinese restaurants where it's just whichever staffer is closest is supposed to take care of the dishes, take the order, etc...

Sam said...

I've also heard that in some Chinese or Vietnamese restaurants, the owner get a percentage of the tips. Don't have any data to back that up.