Saturday, May 29, 2004

Weekend Flog

This week is almost over. I managed to eat home made lunches for the pass 5 days and didn't have any Starbucks coffee. OK. This is quite an accomplishment because I usually go out at least once a week. I'm not saying it was an easy feat because temptations are constantly testing my commitment to the healthier lifestyle.
Examples:
A. Candy bowl
B. Donuts on Fridays
C. People's good intention

Case in point. Conversation with a co-worker name K.
K: Hey Sam, would you like to try some Hersey caramel kisses chocolate?
Me: No thank.
K: It's reaaaalllly goood and tasty...
Me: I know it's good but no thank you.
K: Are you sure... just try one.
Me: No thanks.
Thank goodness that the conversation was interrupted by a phone call to K so the persuasion campaign stopped.
In retrospect, I should have just taken the kiss, throw it my drawer and save it for an emergency disaster.
I'll try that next time.

After two weeks of healthy eating,
I learned the following things about myself:
1) I've learned to like cottage cheese with fruit. It's actually quick and easy source of protein.
2) Plain yogurt taste better with blueberries. I couldn't really taste the 17g of sugar that they claim is in there.
3) Brown rice doesn't taste as good as jasmine rice even after two weeks of giving it a chance. I feel like I'm eating beans. I get tired of chewing and throw away half of what I put in a bowl.

Facts on Caramel Macchiato which used to be my favorite:
Calories:230
Fat :2g or 0.7 zone block
Carb :40g or 4.4 zone block
Protein :14g or 2 zone block

Overall CM is not as bad as I thought. It'll take me 25 minutes to run it off at 5 miles/hour. May be I'll asked them to cut half the sugar and that will bring it to be zone friendly and less work on my part. On second thought,it will not taste as good so mind as well skip it and drink water instead.
I recall from two books that I read which say that it takes between 3-10 weeks to form or break a habit (good or bad). Next two weeks are critical. Once I make it through next two weeks, I know the newly developed healthier habit will be easier to sustain. When I started spinning back in October, it was difficult to go twice a week. Now, it's almost second nature and I look forward to the class every week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is H. What's up with women loving caramel macchiatos? M loves them too. Sam, have you tried getting them with non-fat milk?

Sam said...

I've tried it and it doesn't taste as good. I rather have the real thing or nothing at all. Thanks for the tip.