Sunday, May 16, 2004

Movie

I saw Kill Bill volume I yesterday and it's really good. I can't wait to see Volume II. Quintin brought me back to my childhood(70's) when my parents took me to see martial art movies in Indonesia. The music in Kill Bill was so 70's and the cellphones were hilariously gigantic. When Uma wears Bruce Lee's famous yellow outfit during the serious butt kicking scenes, it reminded me of Bruce Lee fighting Kareem. He captured the flavors of that era which makes him extra-ordinary.
I recalled going to the movies almost every weekend. On weekends, my folks either go to the movies or play ma-jong. With my mom, aunt & grand ma, I saw the Chinese romantic dramas. With dad, I saw shao-lin kung-fu movies. One that came to mind was the drunken master with Jackie Chen before he was an international star. After the movie, my bother would mimic Jackie and pretend to be the drunken master. Jackie Chen has been in the industry for over 30 years. His comical style was established back then and it still works for today's audience.
I miss good Chinese kung-fu movies..
Thanks Quintin for sharing your love for martial art movies with the rest of the world.

No comments: