Wednesday, July 07, 2004

July 4th

On July 4th, mom & dad brought their old college friends over for lunch. These two uncles knew me since I was a newborn. I'll call them uncle L1 and uncle L2. (Note: these two uncles are cousins) I made gado-gado (Indonesian salad with peanut sauce dressing) and hubby made BBQ chicken. Knowing mom, she always has something critical to say "The Chicken is over cooked! The krupuk (Indonesian shrimp chips) was not fried right. Too ugly!!" She has a point. Hubby tends to char chicken for some reason. We ate and talked about how the navigation system in the visiting uncle's car lead them down the wrong path. Talked about how beautiful and emotional H & M's wedding was in Hawaii. They mentioned that M shed some tear of joy but I wonder if H did too? Talked about how uncle L2 should stay longer now that he's retired. After lunch, everyone decided to take a little nap. Auntie L1 started the napping relay as those that were still awake talked about death and religion. After 15 minutes or so into the conversation, uncle L2 decided to nap. I noticed Dad is yawning, fighting to stay awake but he could not pretend any longer and gave in and napped upstairs. At this point uncle L2 and I were left on the dining table talking about the differences between Christianity, Catholic, Buddhist & Muslim. Uncle L2 shared that he has difficulty gaining weight but he seemed happy now that he has found Christianity as his religion of choice. Note that S (the kid) who should be napping isn't napping so I had to excuse my self to get her to nap while Mom took over the chit chat. When I finished putting Summer down, I went downstairs and found hubby napping on the computer table. It must be the beer I put in the chicken that got everyone really relaxed and sleepy. I went to the dinner table and re-join the conversation and by this time uncle L1 got enough rest and started to rejoind the chatting group with Mom and it was uncle L2's turn to take a short nap. At around 4PM, Mom decided that everyone should wake up so they can do some sight seeing before the dinner gala with her kareoke friends. So everyone got up, had some fruits and went to Disney main street.
In the evening, we went to our community park to check out the firework. We sat up front so we can get great view of the firework show. S was really excited about the fireworks until the show started. She was terrified by the sound and covered her ears and closed her eyes the whole time. She opened her eye briefly in between songs and saw the smokes on the sky.
Next time we will sit far back so she won't be bothered by the fireworks explosions.

2 comments:

antawnkreitzer said...

Of course H didn't shed any tears.

Actually, I did. It ended being extremely moving, and they were all tears of joys. I think EVERYONE shed tears. At some points, it was like we were all at a funeral.

Reading this blog explains a lot more about uncle L2. Thanks for clearing things up.

Sam said...

I'm glad I was able to clear things up, eventhough I'm not sure what I did. Please email me and let me know. Puzzled :0.