Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Father’s Day weekend

I didn't get to spend much time with Dad this pass weekend. On Saturday morning, we spoke briefly about the interest rate and cleaning up the back yard before he left for work around 8:00 AM. I gave Dad a 5 lbs CO2 fire extinguisher for father's day. Why on earth would you get that for dad you ask? Well, recently, I had fire extinguisher training and the trainer said "No matter what brand of extinguisher you buy, please don't get the Kiddie brand fire extinguisher". Apparently, the quality is poor and lacks reliability. Rewind back to last year about the same time, after I had my 1st fire training, I went to my parent's house and noticed that dad had a small fire extinguisher in the kitchen area. I checked it out and it was a KIDDIE!!! Oh..No.!! not a KIDDIE! I said to myself. What am I to do? I must swap it with a more reliable extinguisher but then forgot about it. So.. a year later, I got one for dad since the fire safety training and father's day happend to be close to each other. Now he has a CO2 extinguisher that is not messy and it only needs to be refill when it is empty.
On Sunday, I read the ads section of the paper and Lowes ran a full-page advertising Kiddie extinguisher. Don't fall for the trap.
The trainer said that ideally one should have 4 extinguishers.
1 for the kitchen in case of a kitchen fire.
1 for the bedroom so one can use it to get out of the house
1 for the garage
1 for the car

No comments: