Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Plea for pet

Eversince Danielle was 3, she's been asking for a dog or a cat or a bunny as a pet. I'm allergic to cats, she's not old enough to care for a dog and we've tried having fish but was not able to keep them alive for longer than 2 weeks. Her latest plea is for a hamster or a rabbit. One of our neighbor kid has one and Danielle would go over to her house and spend time with the little hamster. I should look into it more before commiting to new member to the family. My concern is the when the novelty wears off then it'll be one more chores on mom and dad's to do list.
I understand her desire to have a pet friend because when I was a kid, I also wanted to have a dog as a pet so I have someone to play with but my parents were not big fans of dogs, cats or any type of animals. They bought me little chicks as pet but they were not as cuddly as a dog.

2 comments:

Juliet said...

I remember really wanting a dog or a cat when I was a kid, too. We ended up getting cats when I was 10, and a dog when I was 13. But it was understood that my sister and I were responsible for much of their care.

Not sure what to tell you. Cats are easier to care for, but since you are allregic, that is obviously out of the question. And a dog is a lot of work! I guess it depends on if you think Danielle is up to the challenge.

Sam said...

I agree Juliet, a dog will be too much work for a 6 year odl kid.Last night she said that she'll be happy with a fish as pet but things might change tomorrow.