Monday, January 24, 2005

Only Child

This weekend, S kept asking me to call my friend Steve so his kids would come over and play with her. Unfortunately, they live in Pasadena so it's not a stone throw away to say "Hey, wanna come over and play with S?" I got the message that she lacks play mate or play date in her life and with the baby on the way, it'll still be a couple of years before she'll have a play mate. Sigh….
Last night, in order to get her out of the bathtub after her bath, I asked if she would like to play playdoe with me. S quickly jumped out of the tub and said "OK, let's play playdoe!"
She was the chef and I was the assistant. We started making pepperoni, green pepper pizza and later realized that pizza was not challenging enough so she decided to make sushi. While she was making the sushi, I can see that she was proud of her creation and she appreciated my company. She made the wasabi, soy sauce and even green tea.
Last night, I realized that S and I have only 4 months of one on one time before her sibling will share all the attention she had all to her self for the pass 4.5 years.
I'm going to throw her a Hello Kitty birthday party this year and I hope Steve's kids will be able to make it.

1 comment:

Bullseye said...

That's so sad. My co-worker has the same problem with her only child. They decided to get a dog to compensate. It seems to help a bit but nothing can compare to a true sibling.