Monday, April 30, 2007

Carnival & 4th annual garage sale

On Friday, Danielle's school had a carnival. In fact, most of the folks I talked to who have kids also have carnivals in their kids's school. I naively signed up to volunteer because I got the 3rd notice in her weekly folder that no parents from her class sign up to volunteer for the carnival. My assignment was in the price booth where kids turn in their tickets for little prizes such as spiders, tattoos etc. At first I was in the 20-50 tickets section so it was pretty peaceful since a few kids had that many tickets. When I got my first 50 tickets customer, she wanted a brown tiger with black stripes. Facing the customers, the prizes are neatly organized in a wooden box with glass cover and each stuff animals has it's on ID numbers. Behind the scene however, stuff animals were disorganized. I was told to look in a bin mixed with all the other toys and tools. After searching for the brown tiger with black stripe for 5 minutes, I told her we didn't have that one and brought her to the bin so she can pick one.
later on I move to the 2 ticket portion and it was hectic and crazy. There was no lines so everyone just frantically waiving their tickets in my face and wanted their prizes. Boy was I glad when my shift was over. Now I know why the other parents didn't want to volunteer.

I decided to participate in our yearly garage sale last weekend and sold some of the baby stuff clothes, toys and adult shoes that we never wore. I encaurage Danielle to sell her old toys but she only picked out one stuff animal to sell and no one bought it. Now we have a little more room in the garage. Mom and Dad stopped by and went shopping. They were really happy to score some bargains printer, luggages and lamp.

1 comment:

CookieBandit said...

Hey, I remember when we would have carnivals/fairs in elementary school. We (my sis and I) would play some ring toss game where they'd have a kiddie pool filled with water and rubber ducks and you had to throw the ring and get it onto a duck. I can't really remember what else they had at the fair though...

Anyway, about the Wii - I think there are places online that tracks Wii availability. My sis went to Fatwallet.com, read the forums, found out that there were going to be shipments at Circuit City, Best Buy and Toys R Us on a given Sunday (in our case, it was the next day). There's one nearby city which has all three stores within about 20 seconds of each other. So we got there early (like 2 hours ahead of when they would be distributing the vouchers) and waited.

Oh yeah, the vouchers. The stores opened at 11am, and at 10am, they would hand out vouchers to the people waiting. For Circuit City (where we ended up getting 2), after they handed us the vouchers, they told us that we just had to come back before 12pm to buy (didn't have to stand there and wait).

Some of the people waiting in line with us had either stopped by the day before or called to check on availablility. That might be an easier route than trying to find out online... I think our nearby Target also had them available, that same Sunday, but we didn't bother checking.

And it does seem like those stores get them for sale on Sunday... I think it's because the weekly ads start on Sunday, so they *have* to have at least a couple in stock since that's what it shows on the ad...

Good luck with your Wii search. It's lots of fun!