Friday, November 17, 2006

OMG

Last night I was disturbed by what Danielle had learned from school.

D: "Mom, let's play chinese checkers" (It's a hand clapping along with chanting words that ryhmes)

She said the following with a funny accent.

Chinese people talk so funny
This is how they talk in Chinese
Usha, usha, I give you a tusha


Me in Mandarin: "Chinese don't talk funny. It sounds funny to those who don't understand the language. I don't want you to play that game anymore."
D:"Yes, we do.."
Me in Mandarin:" Besides,usha and tusha are made up Chinese words that has no real meaning in Chinese."
Me: "If we visit China and speak English to them, do you think the kids will do"
American people talk so funny
This is how they talk in America
Usha, usha, I give you a tusha?


D: "I don't know.."

May be I've over reacted but I just want her to be aware that making fun of other races is not acceptable.

3 comments:

Bullseye said...

Don't be so hard on her. You should let her know that it's not funny, but don't make her feel like it's her fault.

Juliet said...

I remember some similarly racist chants when I was a kid. Even then, it pissed my white self off. I hope my lovely half Chinese son never has to hear that kind of thing.

By the way, I've been studying Mandarin for the last few years.

Sam said...

Juliet,
I hope William will never hear such racist thing but at their age, they don't understand racism I had high hopes that for my children's generation, they will not be exposed to those stupid chats Sigh.
It's wonderful that you are learning mandarin. William is a lucky boy :)