Monday, June 25, 2007

Secondo loves popsicle

Lately, Secondo has made the association of sitting on the high chair with Popsicle and my dear reader wonder why such strange association? Well, lately with daylight savings, by the time dinner is prepared by me and served by me, there’s just enough day light for Secondo and I to enjoy a little outdoor, one on one . I’ve been feeding her in the back yard while she run explored and played. The other benefit from our time together is that hubby and Danielle were able to dine in peace. With Secondo on the dinner table, rarely we have a peaceful meal. When she’s done with dinner, we went back in the dining room and I put her on the high chair next to me. Usually by then, Danielle is done with her dinner and she’ll get a Popsicle for dessert and of course Secondo would asked and get one also while I eat my dinner, most of the time in peace while she enjoys her dessert.
Last Thursday, we deviated from eating in the back yard and I put her on the chair to eat dinner with the rest of the clan. She refused to eat and threw the bowl of rice on the floor and said “ I want Popsicle… Orange Popsicle mommy..” I asked Danielle to explain to Secondo our Popsicle rule.
D: “Mei-mei (younger sister), you can get Popsicle only after you finish dinner. No dinner, no Popsicle”
S: “ I want Popsicle mommy.. NO rice. ”
Hubby wasn’t helpful at all when he chimed in and said
H: “Why did you trained her to associate Popsicle with the high chair?”
Me: “It wasn’t my intention to do so. Did you want Popsicle dripping all over your wood floor? I could let her down and explore around the house while the Popsicle drips all over our furniture.”
H: “Just don’t give or buy Popsicle anymore.” His default solution to ALL our problems. Remove, and banish THE item that causes the misbehavior. I wish he could come up with some other solutions that are not so harsh or more creative or funny or useful. Kids are kids and they should enjoy Popsicle once in a while. Unfortunately, at 2 years old, she’s yet to comprehend the concept of empty box in the freezer means no more. With time, she did eat her dinner and forgotten about the Popsicle.
On Friday, when I put her on the chair she was asking for Licorice and I just pretended that I didn’t understand what she was saying.
Danielle is growing up fast. She will be a 2nd grader in 2.5 months. She has gotten much taller than 9 months ago. She’s into Hannah Montana so it’s funny to hear her sing along with the CD. Secondo loves to copies her sister so when Danielle isn’t around, Secondo would get the lyric book and pretend to sing along. This past weekend, we got her the Nintendo DSL after reviewing her report card that showed improvement from the previous semester. She was so excited that she couldn’t sleep the night before. She likes Pokemon Diamonds and Pearl so we got the Pearl at Costco.

No comments: