Monday, June 18, 2007

Reality check

I've been in training, learning all last week at work so didn't get a chance to walk during lunch and sat on my ass all day. I look forward this week when I get back to my routine again
Last weekend, we bought a new scale. One of the requirement I wanted was the ability to measure body fat. Last time I measured my body fat was at least 10 years ago.
After hubby programmed in our stats and asked me to step on the scale, I said to my self "Ignorance is bliss, are you sure you want to know how much fat you are carrying? ". The other side of me said "You do want to know where you are at so you can set attainable small goals to keep you going" so I did IT.
When I stepped on that new high tech scale and saw how much body fat I had, I was totally shocked by the number that was starring in my face. I hated that scale and told hubby that he must have programmed it incorrectly. I got off and got back on and the same number showed up. I did not expect to fall in the Athlete category and hoping to fall in the "somewhat fit" category. I went on the web and found the chart below which tells me that I'm in the "acceptable" group which easily can slide into the "Obese" group with a slice of cheese cake or a scoop of ice cream as dessert. I've always thought that I'll fall in the "fitness" category with doing cardio twice a week.
With new knowledge of where I'm at, my short term goal is to reduce body fat to 24%.
Action plan
  1. Eat low fat food
  2. Put a weight lifting program together with hubby
  3. Increase intensity with cardio workout


Classification Women (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% plus 25% plus
From American Council of exercise

No comments: