Monday, December 27, 2004

Reflexology session

This holiday season, it felt like I spent most of my energy figuring out how to eliminate shoulder, arm and hand pain that I've been experiencing for the pass few months. Since mid December, my left arm has been bothering me for one whole week and when the pain goes away from the left arm, then it traveled to the right. Feels like a loosing battle but I'm determined to get rid of this pain. I’ve decided to give reflexology a try. I've read that by massaging the certain spot on the bottom of foot would resolve the issue you have on the body so I was hoping that massaging my shoulder spot on my foot would solve my problem.
Before starting the reflexolgy session, the Chinese reflexologist/accupressurist gave me this extremely hot herb tea to drink which was suppose to flush out toxin in my body while I soaked my feet in hot herbal bath. She said that I'm experiencing pain because the toxin were blocking the circulation to my arms and hands.
Me: "Where did I get all these toxin from?"
Reflexologist: "From your diet and from what ever your liver cannot process."
Me: "Where can I buy this tea so I can flush out toxin more often on my own?"
R: "This is my own secret recipe, it's not available at any stores"
Figures because I've never heard of such de-tox tea. It's her sales strategy so I give her that. After soaking my feet for 10 minutes or so..
R: "Do you feel hot? Are you sweating?"
Me: "Yes, I am sweating and feeling warm?"
R: "Good. Sweating out all the toxin"
Me: "If that's all it takes to remove toxin, wouldn't exercise gives the same result as long as I sweat really hard?"
R: "Exercise help but doesn't have the ingredients in the tea to detox your body"
I personally thinks that exercise does help detox the body naturally so that was a great clue from her which I've had forgotten.
Once she felt I detoxed enough, she started to work on my feet starting with my little toes.
R: "Does this hurt?"
Me: "Yes"
R: "That means your eyes are not good."
She works on my big toe
R: "Does it hurt here?"
Me: "Yes"
R: "You teeth are not good."
As she move from toe to heel, all my answers were yes it hurts so every organ in my body is not healthy in her opinion. I think any healthy person would hurt too if this is their 1st exposure to this painful experience but she disagreed with my conclusion.
One positive outcome from the experience is that I temporarily forgot about my shoulder pain since all the pain were intensified on my foot. It wasn't a relaxing session at all.
At the end of the session, she said that she took it easy on me since it was my first trial.
At the end, reflexology didn't solve my problem but I might go back again for the torture.

2 comments:

Bullseye said...

I'm a big fan of Reflextology. I was introduced to it in Hong Kong and it hurts like hell but it feels good afterwards. A lot of it is BS but it relaxing.

It is true that it doesn't hurt for some people. Wifey had it done and no part of her feet hurt no matter how hard the person would press. Things started to change this year though, she started to get more areas when it does hurt. She says that she's not as healthy as before.

Anonymous said...

It was too painful to be relaxing. May be I'll have to get it done more often to see how effective it really is.