Monday, December 06, 2004

Voice of an old friend

Saturday night as we were finishing dinner, the phone rang. I picked up the phone and it was my friend Jo who resides in Taipei, Taiwan. Because our moms were good friends and we were neighbors, Jo is my oldest friend I know. We have been friends since we were 1 year old. I have lots of fond memories of fun and carefree good time together as kids even after our family moved to Indonesia. When I was 4 or 5 years old, I got in big trouble with both our moms when I picked ear-wax out of her ear. Sorry Jo, I was a kid pretending to play mommy. I hope there was no permanent damage.
When I visited Taiwan during school season, her mom would send me to school with her and I experienced life of a Taiwanese 6 grader for a couple of days. I got to meet her teacher, eat bien-tang (Chinese version of bento) like everyone else and have fun with her and her friends after school.
For a period of time Jo was in the US getting her master degree in film school and we were able to hang out together. She is a very giving, kind and thoughtful friend.
I still remember the day when she surprised me by sending a dozen of roses to work on my birthday. I thought it was from hubby who was then just a boyfriend but I was wrong. The roses touched me because she was on a graduate student budget and she could have had a great meal instead.
Over the years, with her movie directing, she’s always on the move. We've kept in touch here and there but it was nice to hear her voice once in a while. Her sister, G just had a cute baby girl so G is enjoying motherhood and Jo is having fun being an Aunt.

No comments: