Friday, October 20, 2006

Next week: Red Ribbon Week

Every Thursday, We get lots of flyers from Primero's school. Yesterday, as I was feeding Secondo, I asked her to read the flyers to me.
Primero was reading them and asked
P: "What does 'Turn your back on drugs' mean?"
Me: "It means staying away from drugs but drugs can be also be medicines that we take when we get sick"
P: "Oh.. like Sav-On Drugs?"
Me: "Yes, that's one place to get medicines"
P: "Then why do we turn our back on drugs?"
Me: "We turn our back on bad drugs"
She lost interest and moved on to the book fair flyer.
This morning, after reading the flyers on my own I realized that her school wants parents to discuss the consequences of drugs to a 1st grader.
Now that I'm more aware of that's going on, I'll do a better job explaining the reasoning behind "Turn your back on drugs!" Sigh...
I assume it's better for her to hear it from me than from her friends at school but on the other hand, it's scary to think my child could be exposed to drugs at 1st grade.

2 comments:

Bullseye said...

Do you notice a difference in the way that you're bringing up Secondo, vs. Primero? I wonder who benefits more. I'm sure there are lots of trade-off's.

Sam said...

I do bring them up differently because their personalities are so different. What works for Primero doesn't work with Secondo.
I'm also more lacks about playing in dirt and letting her explore more than I did before.