Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Thumb sucking @ 11 weeks old


Today, secondo is 11 weeks old. As she tries to fall a sleep I give her a pacifier which sometimes falls out of her mouth when she stops sucking. This morning, I noticed that she was sucking her left thumb already. Her motor skill is not that coordinated but she's able to put her thumb in her mouth and sooth herself to sleep.
I asked S if we should let secondo sucks her thumb and S says "No!" "She won't be able to stop sucking her thumb later like me, remember?" This was S happily sucking her thumb @ 7 months old.
Brother inlaw Mike seems to think that my kids have hubby's thumb sucking genes. Note that as a child, hubby sucked his thumb for many years also.
At first I was totally against it but she seems so content and peaceful when she found her thumb so I'm caving in as we speak. Lately she's been having crying spells at night and nothing can really sooth her other exaustion from crying.
Today is her 2nd day at day care so hopefully she'll take the bottle from the sitter.
S's eye lids are healing well. Top lids heal faster than lower lids. She's good at not scratching her eyes eventhough they itch.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I totally agree with you dadio. My 1st daughter was a thumb sucker and she was able to sooth herself back to sleep and that was great that I didn't have to get up and give her the pacifier. The problem is when it's time to stop the thumb sucking. She only stopped sucking her thumb 6 month ago at the age of 5. It was a difficult process for her but she was old enough to understand that thumb sucking is bad for her teeth.
For now, she sucks her thumb and pacifier.
I'll be visiting your blog and check out your triplets.