Monday, September 11, 2006

Chinese Lesson Karma


Mom gave Primero Chinese characters writing lesson this Summer so she asked that I continue during fall with the hope that Primero will be able to speak Chinese and read Chinese when she grows up. This brought back painful memories when I was in 3rd grade when mom forced me to learn Chinese by practice writing row and rows of Chinese characters which had no meaning.
On Sunday,
Me: "It's time to learn Chinese"
P: "NO!"
Me: "Why NOT?"
P: "''cause I'm hungry"

It was almost lunch time so I fed them and then
Me: "Let's learn Chinese"
Grudgingly agreed so we learned the character rain and the battle begins. Her body language was not happy nor positive and said
P: "I want you to sit with me"
Me: "When dad finishes with yard work, I'll sit with you. No one can watch Secondo otherwise"
P: "Hold my hands and show me how to write it the right way. Popo does it.."
While holding Secondo on left hand, I held her hand and traced the the character rain with her. She continued writing the characters in an snail moving through peanut butter rate.
After hubby finished up with yard work, I sat with her and she was still not a happy camper but she wrote one character that's recognizable so I said
Me: "That character is really close to the example. Can you write another like that or better?"
With a little positive encouragement, she was more interested in taking time to write or draw rain.
At the end, she asked me to circled 2 characters that I really liked and I circled 4 which made her happy. Luckily it was the last page so until I get a new book we both can take a break.

No comments: