Friday, November 19, 2004

Family vs.Relatives

Mom is planning a birthday party for Dad this Saturday so I was all set to go and help her with cooking and stuff. Later she informed me that some relatives from SF and Indonesia are coming so she asked me to attend the relative get together on Sunday also. I told mom that I'm not interested in getting together with the relatives since we are not really that close and I rather just go up to her area once. I need Sunday to rest. We used to be close to this family 20 years ago but now we all live in different cities and countries that the closeness has evaporated. Mom feels that I'm being unreasonable not wanting to have lunch with these relatives when I will be seeing 80% of them on Thanksgiving day. I felt that celebrating Dad's Birthday is more important than eating lunch with the relatives but mom feels differently and wanted me to attend both so we had our little argument yesterday and hopefully she's not too upset about it.
After grandma passed away, I realized that distant relatives are just acquaintances. There is no base on the relationship other than our great grandfathers were brothers. To me it's too superficial and lacks substance. I've been going with mom's flow for all these years and this is the 1st time I put my foot down and she's not happy.

1 comment:

Bullseye said...

You're right, there's not much closeness. It's a bit interesting to see them but if you're tired then don't sweat it. We all live different lives. I'm sure they're not interested in being part of your life.