Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Change in life style

I recently had a physical where they did the routine blood work that showed my blood cholesterol was borderline on the high side. When I discussed the result with hubby and some friends their natural advice were to minimize shrimps and other seafood that have high cholesterol content. I also recalled a conversation with my friend Patricia who’s husband is also working on reducing his blood cholesterol.
Me:"Does it mean that G can’t eat shrimps and crabs anymore?"
P: "Not really. He has to reduce his saturated fat intake."
After researching on the subject of blood cholesterol vs. cholesterol content, I’m happy to report that my friend Patricia was 100 % right. I don’t have to give up eating my favorite food in the world, seafood but I do have to reduce intake of trans fat and saturated fat which if found in food such as coconut milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, red meat. Even though shrimp has high cholesterol content, it doesn't increase blood cholesterol. Such a relief to know that shrimp is not bad for me because I still can eat Tom Yum Kung as long as I don’t add coconut milk in it anymore. I used to cook curry with coconut milk, eat dessert with coconut milk but now I'm going to take it out of my recipes and replace it with skim milk when possible.
I've also started to eat oatmeals for breakfast and that is suppose to lower the LDL/bad cholesterol. Researches showed that oatmeals only lowers it by 2-5% after 2 month so all the advertising on the oatmeals being the sponge for cholesterol is not 100% true.

No comments: