Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fitness update

A few weeks back, I shared my frustration of not seeing any signs of progress towards my fitness goal with hubby and his assessment is that I don't have enough cardio sessions during the week to increase my metabolic rate. Let me remind you that I've modified my goal to be baby goal not the quantum leap one that I set months ago. Current baby goal is: One pound per month or 0.25 lb/week or 0.03 lb/day
Me: "By the time I get home from work, pick up the kids, cook dinner, and give Secondo her bath, then it's time for bed "
Hubby: "I don't go to the gym @ 4:00 AM on Mondays and Fridays so you could go and you'll get 4 cardio sessions in a week. Get your workout clothes ready the night before and I'll wake you up at 3:50 AM if you like." Hubbies are so good at solving problems.
Me: "O dark 3:50? Are you out of your mind! "
Hubby: "There are others who go to the gym that early. I'm not the only one"
Just like Bridget Jones, I said to myself with a British accent "Am I committed enough to sacrifice 1.5 hours of beauty sleep so these jiggly bits are less jiggly? Well, if Oprah Winfrey worked out everyday @ 5AM why can't I do it @ 4AM? Besides, it's only 2 days out of 5 so why not."
The monumental milestone of my 4AM workout was Monday, July 9th, 2007 . To my surprise, I'm not the only person who sacrificed sleep over a goal. These 7 people appeared to have been there for hours judging by the sweat puddles these men had generated. There's a lady who works out with a trainer before I get there, so she could have started @ 3 or 3:30AM. I'm so glad she's there because she's the only distraction I have while I'm on the elliptical. The other distraction is an older man who does the elliptical at lightning speed.
I felt great after 30 min of cardio with some weights and sit ups. When I got home @ 5:00AM, I ate breakfast in peace, made lunches for the girls and showered. I didn't feel rushed with the extra 30 min I have before waking up the kiddos.
The side effects of being such an early bird is that I feel sleepy in the afternoon. It's especially difficult to say awake during my drive home. To keep my self awake, I munched on snacks and drink water. By 8PM it felt as if I've been up for ages.
I'm not really looking forward to this coming Friday 4AM workout session but I'm going to do this for 1 month. Official date to check progress is on 8-6-07 and my vision is that I'm 1 pound lighter.

No comments: